Daily, the Akshaya Patra Foundation’s mid-day meal program serves wholesome school lunches to over 1.7 million children in 14,173 schools across 12 states in India.
Compassion and efficiency form the heart of the foundation’s program, and by using 37 centralized and fully mechanized kitchens, Akshaya Patra is able to successfully provide hungry children across the country access to quality nutrition and education. The foundation has 108 additional kitchens in the pipeline. With this network, Akshaya Patra will be closer to its goal of serving 5 billion meals by 2020.
- Akshaya Patra has demonstrated a clear track record of frugal innovation, simple technology and efficiency in operations to scale from 1,500 meals to 1.7 million meals daily over a period of 17 years
- 7 new kitchens were added within a period of 3 months during the last quarter of 2017 alone
- Due to the efficiencies in scale, centralized sourcing, six sigma kaizen standards of operations, continuous frugal innovation and hundreds of recipes developed by renowned chefs, the cost per meal is only 0.18 cents. It costs only $20.00 to feed a child for an entire school year
- We provide unlimited food. Second helpings are always available and we frequently have younger siblings of students coming to school at mealtime or students packing leftovers in containers to take the food home.
- Reaching more locations in the current 12 States we operate the program in, Akshaya Patra is also looking to expand into new locations in Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu, Madhya Pradesh, Pondicherry, Goa and Bihar.